Part of the reason I chose the Preschool curriculum I did (and you should too, it’s only $20!) is because it emphasized teaching life skills for kids, like making your bed, using a knife and scissors, knowing your address and more.
So, it has me thinking about what life skills kids, especially preschoolers should know, and some smart ways of teaching life skills to kids. So, I put together a great list of resources on how to help teach your preschoolers some important life skills. Enjoy!
Important Life Skills for Kids to Learn
- Practicing Independence Skills – Get Ready for K Through Play from Messforless.net. Includes: Setting & Clearing the Table, Helping with Laundry, Making bed & cleaning up their things.
- Teaching Your Kids to be Independent from The Things I love Most (and her follow-up post)
- Gardening with Kids – Making it a Fun Family Activity from How Does Your Garden Grow?
- Gardening…with Kids! from CapatinFussyBuckets.com
- Scissor Cutting Skills – Why They’re Important and How to Learn Them from Makeoversandmotherhood.com
- How Baking Can Be Summer Reading, Writing, and Math Practice! from The Kitchen is my Playground
- Knife Skills for Kids from Toddler Approved
- How to Teach Kids to Load (and Run) the Dishwasher from What’s up Fagans?
- How to Teach Kids to Unload the Dishwasher Without Breaking Anything from What’s up Fagans?
- How to Teach Your Preschool Child to Dial 911 from A Day in Our Shoes
- How I Teach Kids Their Last Name and Phone Number with one easy trick from Your Modern Family
- 10 Tips for Teaching Kids About Good Touch and Bad Touch from B-Inspiredmama.com
- Raising Charitable and Socially Aware Children from A Day in Our Shoes
- Teach Kids How to Plan and Host Their Own Parties – from What’s up Fagans?
- Helping Kids Become More Resilient; Little Children, Big Challenges from A Day in Our Shoes
- How to Make Friends at School from One Creative Mommy
- Helping your Child Advocate for Themselves from A Day in Our Shoes
- Goal Setting for Kids: Turn Short-Term Goals into Long-Term Habits from One Creative Mommy
- Raising a Little Entrepreneur from The Things I Love Most
- How Grocery Shopping with Kids Can Increase Their Financial IQ from Queen of Free
- Great Ideas to Teach Kids About Money from Queen of Free
- Toddler Teeth Care for a Better Dental Start from B-InspiredMama.com
- Self-Help Skills for Preschoolers: Keep Calm and Get Dressed! from Howweelearn.com
- Tips for Teaching Your Child How to Tie Shoes from ICanTeachMyChild.com
- Teach Kids to Clean Up after Themselves from What’s up Fagans?
- How to Get the Kids to Clean Up After Play from PowerfulMothering.com
- Teach Children to Clean Their Rooms from One Creative Mommy
- Easy Chores to Teach Toddlers Responsibility from Maryland Momma’s Rambles and Reviews
- Regular Chores for 3-Year-Olds from What’s up Fagans?
- The Age-By-Age Guide to Teaching Kids How to Do Laundry from What’s up Fagans?
What life skills for kids and preschoolers did I miss? How do you teach life skills to your kids?
Want More Parenting, Penny Pinching, and Simple Living Tips?
Subscribe and get my best advice delivered right to your inbox. As a thank you, you'll receive these three laundry room printables for FREE.