After I posted my cleaning hack on how to clean a copper pot with vinegar and salt, I received comments about how you could also clean a copper pot with ketchup and Bar Keepers Friend. Now, the latter made sense to me, but the former made me gag: you clean pots with a condiment? A thick, red, tomato-based condiment? I know that ketchup has vinegar as a main ingredient, so it makes sense that it would also work, but who thinks up this stuff?
Well, curiosity finally got the better of me this last week and I decided to see how well ketchup really cleans copper and how gross (or not) it is to clean with ketchup (doesn’t that seem like an oxymoron? Someone please tell me I am not the only one who thinks this is weird).
Weird, or not, I did it. And you can try it too. Because, hey, it DOES work!
To clean a copper pot you’ll need:
- a dirty copper pot
- ketchup (any brand)
- a scour pad
1. Squirt a good amount of ketchup onto the copper.
2. Spread it over all of the copper parts with the scour pad.
3. Now scrub that ketchup-covered pot!
4. Don’t forget to get the sides.
5. When you’ve scrubbed it all, rinse it off with warm water.
6. Check out the results.It’s totally weird, and totally gross (in my opinion) to clean copper with ketchup, but it totally works.
I even made a video to show you the messy process in action:
Be sure to follow my cleaning board on Pinterest for more great cleaning hacks and tips and check out my other awesome cleaning tutorials here on the blog:
- How to Care for Your Mattress and Get On Top of a New One
- 50+ Deep Cleaning Tips and Tricks for Every Room in Your House
- Spring Cleaning Checklists and Printables
- How to Remove Crayon Marks from Walls (11+ Ways)
- How to Clean Stove Drip Pans (4 Ways)
- How to Use Bar Keepers Friend on Stainless Steel Pans
- How to Clean Copper Bottom Pots with Vinegar and Salt
- How to Clean Your Oven with Baking Soda
- Dare to Compare White Cloud Laundry Detergent
- Why I Believe in Cleaning the House with Awake Kids
- How to Remove Pee Stains from a Mattress
Want More Parenting, Penny Pinching, and Simple Living Tips?
Subscribe and get my best advice delivered right to your inbox. As a thank you, you'll receive these three laundry room printables for FREE.