Looking to give Gold Frankincense and Myrrh Christmas gifts this year as part of a 3 gifts for Christmas tradition? Keep reading for a list of gift ideas for each item!
As a child, I remember wanting EVERYTHING for Christmas.
I would pore through the Toys R Us Christmas catalog and every other catalog that came in the mail and write down the best toys on my Christmas gift wish list.
While I watched TV and saw a commercial for a cool new toy, I would run and grab my list and write down the toy’s name so I wouldn’t forget that I wanted that toy too.
And all of this commercialism led to some serious heartbreak on Christmas mornings, as my personal greed stole my Christmas joy.
Our family was large and not well off financially (some years more so than others) and we often did name exchanges for each other, putting a spending limit of about $20-30. Those were usually the “large” gifts we received that year.
As a parent now I see this same commercialism and greed pop up in my own children and I hate it. But I totally get it. Kids are selfish and covetous. So are adults, mind you. And because we don’t shower our children with gifts (other than the occasional treat) throughout the year, Christmas is a big deal.
And I’m okay with that.
But, I think in order to limit Christmas gifts, fight over-consumption, save money, and give gifts strategically, adopting a policy like the three gifts for Christmas idea is so smart!
Gold Frankincense and Myrrh Christmas Gifts
Have you heard about this three gift Christmas idea and trend?
It’s based on the fact that Jesus only received three gifts for his birthday (though technically, they were given after his birth): gold, frankincense, and myrrh (Matthew 2:11).
Because Christmas is the celebration of His birthday, maybe doing three Christmas gifts for each other makes sense too. I mean, if three gifts were okay for Jesus then it should be okay for us, right?
People who adopt this minimalist Christmas gifting idea come up with Gold, Frankincense, and Myrrh Christmas gifts to give to their spouses, children, and others. Each one is symbolic and helps them figure out what type of gifts they should give.
Keep reading to discover what the gold, frankincense, and myrrh gifts represent and what gifts you can give to meet their parameters (though you can stretch it as you see fit!).
“Gold” Christmas Gifts
Because gold was, and still is, of great monetary worth and precious, a “gold” Christmas gift is something expensive, something of great value, something a child or adult really wants and will hopefully treasure for years to come.
The sky is the limit a bit on what qualifies as a “gold” item.
Here are some other gift guides to help you find the perfect “big” treasured gift for kids and adults on your list:
- Gifts for 8-Year-Old Girls
- The Great Big List of Toys that Kids Play with for Years
- 33 of the Best Gifts for Getting Kids Outdoors
- 16 Practical Genealogy Gifts for Family History Lovers
- 14 Fun & Needed Gift Ideas for New Gun Owners
- 8 Perfectly Romantic Gift Ideas for Him
- Practical and Thoughtful Gifts for Pregnant Women
- 4 Gifts for Dad that’ll Remind Him of You
- 23 Gifts Bloggers Really Want
It can, of course, literally be gold too or of strictly monetary value.
Here are some actual Gold Christmas gift ideas for kids and adults:
- Sheet Music
- Gift Certificate
- Gold Stock/Investments
- Gold jewelry
- Gold watch
- Gold home decor item (gold-colored works too)
- Gold purse
- Gold accessories
“Frankincense” Christmas Gifts
Please tell me I an not the only one who had to look up what Frankincense is?
Apparently, frankincense is a type of dried tree sap that burned in the Temple as an incense, accompanying the meal-offering. Burning incense represented prayers ascending to heaven.
A “Frankincense” gift is something spiritual, something that will strengthen a person’s walk with Christ, whatever that may be.
Parents often gift their children things like:
- Kid Nativity Set
- Scripture Journal
- Developing a Quiet Time: A Biblical Study for Kids
- Children’s Bible
- HelloBible Subscription Box
- Spiritual Movies or a PureFlix Subscription
- Christian coloring books
- Short Bible Storybooks
- Christian T-Shirts
- Christian jewelry or accessories
- Other Christian gifts for kids
- Children’s Christmas books that focus on the Savior
- Worship Music CD
- Kids Devotional Book
- Full Armor of God Costume Set (or other nativity costumes)
- Bible Games
- To Every Nation: A Study of 12 Missionaries and their Great God
For adults, the frankincense gift may include:
- Inspiring Home Decor
- Inspiring Wall Decor
- New Christian book
- Piece of Religious or Spiritual Jewelry
- Chrisitan Mug
- Hymnbook or Sheet Music
- Worship Music CD
- New bible or scripture case or scripture marking pens/crayons.
- Tickets to an upcoming Christian retreat, concert, or another such event
- Spiritual Movies or a PureFlix Subscription
Other extensions of the Frankincense presents are those that related to a child or adult’s gifts or talents that glorify God. Like, a better piano or keyboard for your daughter who plays for your church, or cooking lessons for your budding chef. If they play guitar, you can do Gentle Guitar Music Lessons online! Plus you can get your first lesson for free!
“Myrrh” Christmas Gifts
I also had to look up what myrrh is, too.
Myrrh is an aromatic tree resin used as a perfume, incense, and medicine. It was part of the holy anointing oil used in Hebrew anointing and purification rituals.
A “Myrrh” Christmas gift is, therefore, something for the body, to anoint it.
A myrrh gift could include things like:
- Stitch Fix Gift Card (or to a different Stitch Fix Alternatives)
- Le Tote Gift Certificate – )
- Perfume or cologne (or a ScentBox subscription)
- Massage/pampering kits
- Bubble Bath or Bath Bombs
- Hair products and accessories
- Nail Polish and Nail Kits
- Chapstick or Lipstick or Lipgloss
- Costumes (check out my posts on where to get used costumes and nativity costumes)
I would also like to think that because your brain and mind are part of your body you could gift learning tools, things like:
- Monthly Science Kits
- Educational Subscription Boxes for Kids
- Educational Board Games for Kids
- Scientific Board Games for Kids
- Rosetta Stone
- Craftsy Gift Cards
You could also give myrrh gifts that have to deal with health, fitness, and exercise. This could include:
- Fitbit or Another Fitness Tracker
- New Smart Scale
- Nutrisystem Subscription
- Gym Membership
- Water bottle
- Exercise Equipment and Workout Accessories
- Workout DVDs
- Gym Bag
- Sporting Goods Equipment (rackets, balls, skates, etc). Check out my post on the best outdoor toys for kids!
- Subscription Meal Services like Hello Fresh or Blue Apron
- Headphones or Ear Buds
- Workout Clothes or a Wantable Subscription (for him) and check out my post on maternity workout clothes too.
You could also think about gifting them a DNA test, as it helps them unlock more information about their bodies! I’ve tried both of the following:
- 23andMe (see my 23andMe review)
- AncestryDNA (see my Ancestry DNA review)
- LivingDNA (see my LivingDNA review)
Or you could gift them an Ancestry.com membership so they can discover more about their heritage and find long-lost ancestors through searching various archives and documents. Your ancestry defines your body and who you are.
However you decide to define your gold, frankincense, and myrrh Christmas gifts, should you choose to go this route, I hope that it will simplify your holiday and better help you focus on the true meaning of Christmas – our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
For more great Christmas posts, check out the following:
- 50+ Toy Advent Calendars for Kids
- 12 Free Printable Nativity Coloring Pages for Kids
- 8 Traditional Stocking Stuffers Ideas
- How to Assemble Blessing Bags for Homeless People
- 6 Reasons You Should Still Mail Christmas Cards
- 5 Fantastic Elf on the Shelf Alternatives
- 27 Fre DIY Homemade Christmas Stocking Tutorials
Want More Parenting, Penny Pinching, and Simple Living Tips?
Subscribe and get my best advice delivered right to your inbox. As a thank you, you'll receive these three laundry room printables for FREE.