Life sure keeps speeding by! I cannot believe that there is only a week left to October! We’ve been busy, as usual. Here’s what we’ve been up to since our last family update.
1. I ran a 10k race! Unfortunately, my training fell off once Josh got into school, and then I hurt myself sprinting during a church softball game, killing my upper thighs, leaving them sore for a solid week. Essentially, it meant I couldn’t go very fast during the race as my legs killed, so I couldn’t sprint to the end. It still a lot of fun and I enjoyed having my buddy Chow along for the run. Made it so much better!
I finished in 1:19:42, with an average pace of 12:50. I finished 9 in my division (out of 12). After the race I stuck around and ended up winning a door prize with some new Texas T-shirts as well as a 3 month membership to a local gym! I have since signed up (although I had to pay some fees when joining, still a pretty good deal for 3 months). However, after the race, the side of my right foot was giving me issues with feeling kind of tingly and painful. Thankfully both the foot issue and the sore thighs have since gone away. Although, I have to say, I’m excited to feel the burn of getting some good exercise in again at the gym. I even have some upcoming personal training sessions that will likely kick my butt! I had a mini one on Wednesday and I was so sore afterward, but a good sore.
2. General Conference was a great, relaxing weekend. We did a little shopping at the local Walmart for the kids for purposes of a toy review, and I made some homemade cinnamon rolls. Unfortunately, I burned the back of my hand on the oven rack. Not very fun, and it’s still healing. The girls also broke a glass bowl, and both Josh and I got cut by the glass.
3. I started and ran a 15-Day Bold Christian Challenge. I ended up having more than 270 people subscribe to the challenge, with about half of the people actually opening the daily emails (started higher and than tapered off as it went on – maybe it was too long?). It’s hard to know if it was really a “success.” I plan on sending out a survey to ask the participants how it went. Part of the problem is that shortly into the campaign, I got flagged on Facebook (for unknown reasons) and was no longer able to comment in ANY group on Facebook, including the very group I started for this campaign. It’s been super frustrating, and I do believe definitely hurt my initiative.
4. I had the fun privilege of being a photographer for a day! I agreed to help take the indoor ballet photos for all the girls in the studio. I think they turned out pretty well considering it was my first “real” photo shoot gig. I know what I did wrong and hope to take better ones in the future. This Sunday I’ll get another chance to try my hand at taking photos of people as we swap picture taking with our friends. I hope they turn out as cute as the ballet ones! 5. We attended a Stake Fall Festival which was fun, although, it was totally during the dinner hours, but without dinner being served, unless you count chocolate and sugary treats as dinner food. The kids enjoyed playing some of the games and getting the candy, of course. 6. We had our second book club and read the book Jane Eyre (affiliate link), which I had never read before, or even seen the movie. I got about half way through this depressing story, and then I cheated the night before by watching an old version on Amazon Prime. I also got to book club like an hour after it started, but still discussed the book and had some good time chatting with some friends.
7. We had a Couponing Night at church and also talked about food storage and emergency preparations. I really want to start growing some simple herbs and veggies. Living in Texas, I should be able to grow some year round, which is pretty cool.
8. I was invited to be a part of the Inspiring Mom Bloggers Virtual Summit that will be happening the beginning of next year. I’m excited and nervous for a “speaking” engagement, but thrilled to be doing some bigger things with my blog and my voice. I am thankful for the comments friends left me on my Facebook profile as to what they found inspiring about me. It’s helping me really formulate what exactly I want to share.
9. Josh has been busy as a bee with school and had his first tests and did very well on them all! I am very proud of him. He’s even taken the girls to school with him again, and is still killing it as a dad on the weekends.
10. I am so glad we live so close to church and that we get to walk there! This past Sunday we went on a fun family walk with some friends from church. Hoping to continue this fun Sunday tradition. 11. I won a brand new car seat from MomSelect and Britax! It’s a serious upgrade from our last car seat we were using for Michael, with all the fancy padding. I cleaned out my entire car, vacuuming, washing, and scrubbing in preparation of installing our new Britax Advocate ClickTight (affiliate link). It was super easy to install thanks to it being a ClickTight. Plus, my sister Brittany wrote an awesome post all about car seat safety for the blog, which I recommend everyone check out! 12. I’ve had two articles featured on FamilyShare.com this past month, which has a huge (over 1 million) followers on Facebook. I’ve had several pageviews come my way from the posts and the feedback has all been very positive! I love it! I have another one in the queue and will be submitting more to them soon.
Want More Parenting, Penny Pinching, and Simple Living Tips?
Subscribe and get my best advice delivered right to your inbox. As a thank you, you'll receive these three laundry room printables for FREE.