Want moving hacks that will help you protect your stuff? What about moving hacks that will save you time or keep everything more organized? Then these tips below are the perfect moving life hacks for you, and they’re presented GIF style!
Sometimes life tells us that it’s time to move. Whether it is for work, family or wanderlust, a move can be an exciting new start so don’t let the task of moving put a damper on your new adventure.
The following moving tips from our friends at Simply Self Storage will help you move your stuff like a pro, save money on expensive moving companies, move more effectively and efficiently, and keep your valuables from breaking during moves. Each room poses its own set of problems when moving, so these moving hacks are broken down room by room for your next move, with additional tips available for you to download for each category.
25 Moving Hacks
Moving Hacks for the Kitchen
Hate cleaning but love a clean house? Pick up this printable Spring Cleaning Bundle and you'll be able to clean it all without feeling overwhelmed!
Kitchens are pretty daunting not just because of the massive appliances, but also because of the little kitchen gadgets that are so tedious to move. Try some of these tips and avoid the headache.
1. Placing your spices in pots and other large dishware saves space and helps you to avoid misplacing your smaller items too!
2. Prevent injuries and ripped packaging by storing the sharp sides of knives inside potholders and secure it with a rubber band.
3. Repurpose your socks into glassware protection. The covers prevent scratching and keep them from clinking together and breaking during transport.
4. Save time and skip reorganizing your utensils by transporting them in their original organizer and secure the top with plastic wrap.
5. Utilize your kitchen towels or any other soft materials to ensure your plates arrive intact!
Moving Hacks for Bedrooms
Moving your bedroom gives you the perfect opportunity to get rid of clothing or other items that you never use or wear or to put them into storage. Avoid sifting through a bunch of boxes looking for clothes to wear and pack a suitcase that you can access during the moving process.
6. Create a barrier of protection for your clothes by sliding a garbage bag over your clothes and onto your clothing hangers, like a makeshift garment bag.
7. To save space, roll the clothing inside your dresser drawers instead of folding them.
8. Plan ahead and use flexible comforter bags to store your off-season clothing so that it is ready to stow away in your new abode.
9. Shoes always take up so much space because of their non-uniform shapes. Make use of the inside space and pack them with small items.
Moving Hacks for Living Rooms
Living rooms typically have fewer items to move, but the large furniture is always a pain in a mover’s side. Make sure you have the tools you need to assemble and reassemble!
11. Slice pool noodles or pipe insulation in half and use those halves to protect picture and mirror frames.
12. People often forget to remove the light bulbs from their lamps. Skip the broken glass mess and remove and wrap them or store them in a Christmas ornament box.
13. Use a rubber band to keep the top of the hammer from damaging your walls and get your whole security deposit back!
14. Protect your artwork and make it easy to organize by placing them in padded mail envelopes and labeling them.
Moving Hacks for Bathrooms
When packing your bathroom, make sure that you are throwing away expired toiletries and makeup. Not only will this make your move lighter, but it will also feel good to start fresh.
16. Separate jewelry inside egg cartons and seal it with tape once you are finished.
17. Don’t trust that your toiletries won’t leak during the move, place plastic wrap over the opening and then screw the lid back on.
18. To avoid shattered mirrors, use masking tape and create an “X” across the mirror.
19. Prevent cutting your hands and put binder clips over your razor blades.
20. Use cotton balls to ensure that your makeup doesn’t break apart.
Moving Hacks for Offices
Before packing up your home office, make sure that you have copies of documents that you need and that your sensitive paperwork is stored securely. Don’t forget to notify friends, family, businesses, and subscriptions that your address has changed.
21. As an alternative or addition to labeling your boxes (be sure you pick up free moving boxes where possible), try taking photos of the contents of your boxes. These photos can be saved digitally or taped to the outside of the box.
22. For easier transport, pack heavy items and books in a rolling bag.
23. Remove your ink cartridges and toner from your printer so they don’t leak and ruin your things.
24. Place important documents and cards in plastic bags for better protection and organization.
25. Utilize every inch of space that you can by filling gaps in with smaller items, this also keeps the larger items from sliding around in the box.
These moving tips help you to avoid breaking the bank and your personal belongings. Use these tips for long-term storage as well. You can hold onto those belongings that have a strong sentimental value but might be lacking the style that you had in mind for your new place.
Moving will all be worth it once you settle in and start the exciting new chapter of your life. Hopefully, these tips will help you have a smooth and less stressful move.
Want more moving hacks and help? Check out these posts:
- Apartment Hunting Checklist – How to Find the Perfect New Apartment
- 5 Ways How to Save Money on Moving Costs
- 17 Places that Offer Free Cardboard Moving Boxes
- 7 Steps to Get Your Security Deposit Back in Full
- What To Do When Your Landlord Doesn’t Refund Your Deposit
- Moving Organization Kit