Want to know how to get sweat smell out of clothes, perhaps even how to get smell out of workout clothes that still smell after washing? Below you’ll discover how to remove sweat smell from shirts and other gym clothes super easily! This post is sponsored by EnviroKlenz but opinions are my own.
Over Memorial Day weekend, my husband went paintballing with some friends, hunkering down in jeans, a face mask, and a hat, in sweltering 95-degree heat and sun. And he forgot to pack his deodorant and borrowed mine instead.
When he came home he not only came home with the nastiest paintballing bruises I’ve ever seen (the paintballs were not breaking), his clothes also had some nasty sweat smell.
We live in Texas now and while I love that I don’t have to deal with the frigid Wisconsin winters of my youth, I don’t always love the crazy heat either.
I especially didn’t love the crazy Texas summer heat when I was dealing with a summer pregnancy with no AC in our car.
I don’t love it lately as I’m trying to get back into running postpartum and pretty much have to go before noon or it is just too hot and sweaty and gross.
Over the years, my husband and I have dealt with a lot of sweaty clothes. Sweat happens, especially when you like to be active and helpful. But, we certainly want to know how to get sweat smell out of clothes!
We’ve discovered through the years, to our chagrin, that washing our workout clothes full of sweat smell along with our regular wash is a very bad idea. Because, often my gym clothes smell even after washing and now so did all of my non-gym clothes too. Yuck! Nothing like putting on a clean shirt that smells like sweat. We now had that task of learning how to remove odor from clothes.
It’s taken some trial and error over the years to figure out. We already figured out the best way to remove yellow armpit stains now we just had to figure out how to get rid of sweat smell in clothes.
Adulting is fun, huh?
Anyway, we stumbled across a product a couple years ago that really, really makes it easy to remove sweat smell from clothes without scrubbing or soaking or anything time-consuming, and it works perfectly.
Keep reading to learn what it is and how to use it properly.
How to Get Sweat Smell Out of Clothes
The secret weapon we use to combat gym clothes smell is a laundry enhancer liquid from EnviroKlenz.
EnviroKlenz is in the business of odor removal and their laundry enhancer can remove chemical odors, toxic vapors and other stubborn odors like workout clothes smell. We also use it to remove mildew smell from towels.
The EnviroKlenz laundry enhancer liquid is made from earth minerals and non-toxic ingredients, is fragrance-free, and safe to use on all machine types including HE machines. It is safe to use on cotton, delicates, nylon, polyester, spandex, washable lace, washable rayon, washable wool, and many other washable fabrics. It shouldn’t be used on dry-clean-only fabrics, leather, satin, silk, or suede (but who is gonna work out in any of those materials?!).
Now here’s how to use it to remove sweat smell out of clothes.
Materials Need to Get Sweat Smell Out of Clothes
- Sweaty Work Out Clothes
- Washing Machine
- EnviroKlenz Laundry Enhancer Liquid
- Liquid Laundry Detergent
- Small Bowl
- Measuring Cup
How to Get rid of Sweat Smell in Clothes Instructions
1. Separate all of your sweaty gym clothes from your regular wash.
2. Add 1/4 cup for a small load or 1/2 cup for a medium or larger load of the EnviroKlenz Laundry Additive. For top load washers, first partially fill the tub with water, add your normal detergent, and then add the Laundry Additive (make sure to shake it well before use), then your smelly gym clothes as the water continues to fill.
For an HE washer and front loader washer, simply add the shaken Laundry Enhancer along with your regular detergent in the designated detergent slot; or mix the required amount first into a small bowl of warm water, mixing it together gently, and then pouring it directly into the washer. Then add your detergent to the regular slot, and add your clothes into the washer.
Do NOT use in combination with bleach, vinegar, or other additives.
3. Make sure you do not overload your washer with smelly workout clothes! The product needs to be able to move freely within the wash and the dosage may not be enough if overloaded too.
4. Set your washing machine settings to use more agitation (heavy soil), warm water instead of cold, and use an extra rinse at the end of the cycle. Do not use any prewash or presoak cycles. Start your washer.
5. Dry your clothes as you normally would.
6. Enjoy the fresh, odor-free smell of your workout clothes!
This product works even if your gym clothes still smell after washing normally. It’s a great product to keep in your laundry room for musty towels, sweat odor removal, chemical smells, urine smells, or whatever nasty stink attacks your washable items in your home. Use discount promo code FAGANS15 to save 15% on your order at EnviroKlenz!
My husband’s sweaty clothes from his paintball excursion and my running workout clothes no longer smell like sweat, and yours don’t have to either.
For more laundry and odor removing tips check out the following:
- How to Remove Gum from a T-Shirt
- 4 Easy Ways to Remove Baby Poop Stains on Clothes
- How to Remove Lip Gloss Stains from Fabrics
- How to Remove Dried Set-In Blood Stains from Clothes
- The Age-By-Age Guide to Teaching Kids How to Do Laundry
- How to Get Rid of Vomit Smell in Car
- How to Deodorize and Clean Your Garbage Disposal
Want More Parenting, Penny Pinching, and Simple Living Tips?
Subscribe and get my best advice delivered right to your inbox. As a thank you, you'll receive these three laundry room printables for FREE.