Can’t see out your window because of all the hard water spots? Here’s how to clean hard water stains from windows with vinegar.
We have a window in our shower. It should come as no surprise that it’s covered in those annoying white fleck marks of dried water spots that never seem to want to go away, at least not easily. It means I can’t see through the window to the big grass field behind our home much at all.
If you have hard-water stains on your windows (or shower doors) I found that this is an effective way to get the glass beautifully clear again.
How to Remove Hard Water Stains from Windows
Materials Need to Clean Hard Water Stains from Windows
- Vinegar in a spray bottle (I prefer Four Monks cleaning vinegar)
- Scrub cleaning pad or textured sponge
- Dry microfiber cloth
- Rain-X (Optional)
Instructions on How to Clean Hard Water Stains from Glass
1. The first thing you want to do is liberally spray the entire window with vinegar. Get it dripping wet and soaking.
2. Let it sit for about 5 minutes. Turn on a fan or open the window to allow for ventilation if the smell of vinegar drives you crazy.
3. Spray window again to re-wet.
4. Use a gentle scrub pad (like this one) and scrub away the hard water spots. (I used a scour pad the first time and scrubbed too hard and it left light scratches in my window. Use a softer washcloth or scrubbie that won’t scratch your window!)
5. Wipe it dry and clean with a microfiber cloth (or paper towel).
6. Respray and dry with either a glass cleaner or the vinegar to make sure it is really clean.
7. To prevent future hard water spots and buildup on your window and shower glass, you can apply Rain-X! Spray and wipe according to package instructions and be sure to buff it really well and use with ventilation. This can help keep your shower clean for up to 6 months.
And you’re done! You should be able to see out your window again! Be sure to clean the outside of the window too (if you can – I can’t as I don’t have a ladder!) and you’ll be marveling at the new view!
Here’s a video I did for Hometalk showing how to clean the shower head (and a few other things in the bathroom)!
If for some reason that doesn’t work, you may like this 2-ingredient hard water stain removal hack interesting!
How do you like to remove hard water stains from windows?
For more tips on how to clean, especially in your bathroom, check out these awesome cleaning tutorials:
- How to clean a bathtub with a Magic Eraser
- How to clean bathtub with Bar Keepers Friend
- How to clean showerheads
- How to clean grout in the bathroom
- How to remove black mold in your shower caulking
- How to clean porcelain sinks
- How to remove rust stains from porcelain sinks
- How to shine bathroom faucets
- How to clean a curling iron
Want More Parenting, Penny Pinching, and Simple Living Tips?
Subscribe and get my best advice delivered right to your inbox. As a thank you, you'll receive these three laundry room printables for FREE.