Want a small Christmas gift box for a present you are gifting? Keep reading to discover a fun way to make your own Christmas gift boxes from old Holiday cards!
I absolutely love getting Christmas cards in the mail and sending out Christmas cards in the mail every year.
We like to include a little letter update about our past year and pictures of the kids on our card. It’s a fun way to document our family’s journey. When other people send us theirs, I love seeing how their families have grown, or simply enjoy the beautiful card with a sweet message.
But, after Christmas is over, I am not sure what to do with all these sweet cards, letters, and pictures. It seems a shame to throw them all away! That’s why it’s great to have a specific purpose for these wonderful cards we receive every year.
A few years back I actually put together a list of 40 different ideas of what to do with Christmas cards (and leftover wrapping paper too).
Today, I’m showing you an easy way to recycle and re-gift Christmas cards! The Christmas card will become a cute box for putting in small gifts for others!
How to Make a Christmas Gift Box from Christmas Cards
Materials Needed to Make Christmas Gift Boxes
- Cute Christmas cards you’re ready to part ways with
- Craft glue
- Pencil or pen
Instructions on How to Make a Christmas Gift Box
I demonstrated how to make one of these Christmas cards live for Hometalk last year! Feel free to check it out if you are more visual. It’s the first craft I demo! I also demo how to make gift tags from old Christmas cards and how to make a miniature Christmas village.
Here are the written directions:
1. Pick a cute card to use that will be able to conform to the size you want., separate the front of the card from the back, and then determine how deep you want your box to be (could depend on the object you intend to place inside too rather than the design of the card).
2. Separate the front of the card from the back.
3. Determine how deep you want your box to be (could depend on the object you intend to place inside too rather than the design of the card).
4. On the inside of your card/future box, measure off the same measurement on all sides, scoring the lines with a hard pen or pencil, so it’ll be easy to fold.
5. On the bottom of your box, be sure to make all measurements 1/16″ longer, so that the top will easily fit over the bottom of the box.
6. With scissors, cut just one side of each corner box you created, and fold along all the scored lines to form your box.
7. Glue the corner flaps to the ends of the box. Feel free to trim flaps that overlap. If you aren’t using a craft glue, a paper clip can be used to help keep the flaps together as they dry.
8. Once it is dry, fill your cute little box with something special! Candy, jewelry, gift card, cash, or whatever small trinket or goodie you wish to gift are perfect for inside these little Christmas card boxes!
9. Put the lid on, wrap a little ribbon around it, and you are ready to gift some old Christmas cards along with something special inside!
Be sure to check out 40 great ways to recycle and reuse old Christmas cards and wrapping paper!
For more Christmas craft ideas, check out the following posts!:
- How to Make a 3-D Christmas Card Ornament
- How to Make Christmas Gift Tags from Old Christmas Cards
- How to Make a DIY Gift Box from a Christmas Card
- How to Make a Wire Christmas Card Display Picture Frame for Under $15
- How to Make a Minature Christmas Village from Christmas Cards
- 27 FREE DIY Homemade Christmas Stockings Patterns and Tutorials
- 12 Free Printable Nativity Coloring Pages for Kids
- How to Assemble Blessing Bags for the Homeless