Here’s a fun way to create Christmas card ornaments! Use old Christmas cards to create a geometric ornament! Keep reading to discover how to make them.
If you want a fun way to recycle old Christmas cards once the holidays are over, think about crafting them into a 3-D geometric Christmas card ornament! It’s fairly easy to do, doesn’t take long, and it’s a fun ornament to add to your collection. Plus, they’re pretty fun looking.
How to Make 3-D Geometric Ornaments from Christmas Cards
Materials Needed to Make a Geometric Christmas Ornament
Instructions on How to Create a Geometric Christmas Card Ornament
1. To start you will need to trace something circular, like the bottom of a small cup. You need 20 circles, plus an extra for a triangle template. Trace and cut them all out. To make your ornament prettier, you can try to use Christmas cards that are mostly a certain color or style, or only two colors.
2. Now you need to create an equilateral triangular template that you can circumscribe within each circle. This means that each side of the triangle is the same length and every corner is touching a point on the outside of the circle like pictured below. It will likely take some trial and error to get it to measure just right, so use a pencil. Cut out an extra circle from a card to create the template to make it way easier on yourself.
3. Trace the triangle shape on the back of each of the 20 circles you cut out. Be sure to score the triangle lines you make. I used a simple pen and pressed hard while using a ruler to make sure it was nice and straight.
4. Fold over the edges of the circles along the lines, folding them forward, toward the colored pattern/design of the card.
5. Now it’s time to start assembling the ornament! You’ll start with the top and glue the edges of five circles together. If your tacky glue isn’t holding well, use a paper clip to hold the edges in place until they dry.
6. Repeat and create the bottom by gluing 5 circles together in a similar manner.
7. To assemble the center of the ornament, you’ll glue a line of 10 circles together like shown below.
8. Now put in the hanging mechanism! I used a piece of ribbon and looped it through a button and then glued it in place for extra strength.
9. Now glue all the remaining edges together and you have a completed, recycled geometric Christmas card ornament!
Check out my post on 40 ideas on how to recycle old Christmas cards and wrapping paper!
For more Christmas craft ideas, check out the following posts!:
- How to Make a 3-D Christmas Card Ornament
- How to Make Christmas Gift Tags from Old Christmas Cards
- How to Make a DIY Gift Box from a Christmas Card
- How to Make a Wire Christmas Card Display Picture Frame for Under $15
- 27 FREE DIY Homemade Christmas Stockings Patterns and Tutorials
- 12 Free Printable Nativity Coloring Pages for Kids
- How to Assemble Blessing Bags for the Homeless