Showerheads are known to develop calcium and hard water buildup over time and usage which may hinder the flow of water and water pressure coming out of your shower head. Following this cleaning tutorial below and learn how to clean a shower head with vinegar.
Taking a shower is something many Americans do every single day. Sometimes multiple showers in a day! But, cleaning your shower doesn’t happen every day, and when it does, it likely avoids cleaning the shower head! With all the spray holes, tiny spaces between, and hard-water build-up and grossness, we avoid it, and just deal with whatever water pressure it puts out.
Some people just ignore it and eventually replace their shower heads altogether.
But, if you are more frugally minded than that and want to clean it and get it running more efficiently, here’s how to get your sparkling again. And it’s super easy.
How to Clean Shower Head
Materials Needed to Clean Shower Head
- Sandwich, Quart, or Gallon-sized Ziploc Bag (depending on the size of your showerhead)
- Twist Tie
- Spray bottle
- Microfiber Cloth
Instructions for Cleaning Shower Head
1. Lower the shower head as far down as it will go.
2. Put a Ziploc bag around the shower head, using the smallest bag that will fit.
3. Pour vinegar into the bag, just enough so that just the face of the showerhead will be submerged in vinegar when the bag is pulled tight.
4. Secure the bag with a twist tie, rubber band, or whatever you have on hand.
5. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
6. Remove the bag from the showerhead.
7. Scrub showerhead with a toothbrush and get in all the holes and between the holes, and the sides too.
8. Dry with a microfiber cloth.
And that’s it! Your showerhead should be beautiful again!
Before you shower the next time, you may want to run water through it for a second to remove any lingering particles.
I did try spraying the shower head a bunch with vinegar, letting it sit, and then scrubbing with a toothbrush, but it wasn’t working. There were still hard water spots. I needed to soak it. The soak really did make a difference and it was far easier to clean.
The power of vinegar truly is amazing! It’s such a great cleaning agent!
Here’s a video I did for Hometalk showing how to clean the shower head (and a few other things in the bathroom)!
For more great cleaning tutorials and tips check out my ebook Speed Clean the Deep Clean!
Want More Parenting, Penny Pinching, and Simple Living Tips?
Subscribe and get my best advice delivered right to your inbox. As a thank you, you'll receive these three laundry room printables for FREE.