How to Easily Remove Old Pee Stain and Smell from a Mattress

This post likely contains affiliate links.

There are many joys of parenting. One of those joys is not having to remove pee stains from a mattress, a mattress that had a waterproof mattress protector on it.

One of my daughters, unfortunately, has an issue with wetting the bed at night. While she’s been potty trained for over a year, and doesn’t wet her bed every night, it’s still regularly happening. Unfortunately this has led to urine stains on her mattress. Multiple urine stains that smell.

The waterproof mattress protectors we placed under our daughter’s sheets, failed. I think the heat from the dryer or their less than top-of-the-line materials, left them anything but waterproof.

Since our twins don’t have assigned beds, not only did I have to clean a mattress that has urine on it once, but twice. This stank (literally) because they were new mattresses. And I really wanted to remove the stain and the smell, as quickly and easily as possible, because I couldn’t afford to replace them. And because I love efficiency.

Thanks to an internet search I found this awesome post from the Inspired Housewife, that had a cheap, easy, and effective way to get urine stains out of a mattress. I decided to try it out for myself on my daughters’ very urinated on mattresses, with old pee stains, and their nice musty pee smell. I wanted to see if it really would work and how well or not it did.

I did the following urine stain removing method and then promptly bought this new waterproof mattress cover so I would never have to do it again.

The Pee Stained Mattresses Before Cleaning:

First, I want to show you just how bad my kids’ pee stained mattresses were:

Yuck! Definitely not what I want my kids’ mattresses to look like and to be sleeping on! Plus, the smell was not so hot.

How to Get a Pee Stain out of a Mattress

*IF YOU WANT A PRINT-FRIENDLY VERSION OF THE FOLLOWING TUTORIAL, CLICK HERE*

Pee Stain Removal Cleaning Solution

To remove a pee stain from a mattress you need:

How to Remove Pee Stains from your mattress, and remove the smell! Fantastic easy tutorial on how to get urine stains out of a mattress.Take the empty spray bottle and pour in 8 ounces of hydrogen peroxide, 3 tablespoons of baking soda (add with a funnel. *If you have problems with clogging, try using less baking soda), and a drop of liquid hand dishwashing soap.

You can also add in a drop of lavender or other essential oil to help neutralize the smell. Plus, lavender oil is said to help induce sleep.

Spin everything around a little bit, but don’t shake it up too much or it may bubble up way too much. Now your urine removing formula is ready to go!

Spray it all over your mattress and get it nice and saturated, especially on the nice yellow pee stains. How to Remove Pee Stains from your mattress, and remove the smell! Fantastic easy tutorial on how to get urine stains out of a mattress.

And that’s it! Just make sure to use the mixture right away for best results as the peroxide starts to break down in light.

Within a few minutes you will magically start to see the pee stains disappear! It’s really that simple!

I had to make another bottle since I had quite the surface area to cover with two twin mattresses, so I ended up spraying both mattresses twice as I had extra solution made up. I also realized I forgot to get the sides of the mattress (who knew there were stains there, too?).

The end results are amazing! There is a slight yellow residue, but vastly improved.

To get rid of the gritty baking soda residue on top of the mattress, wait an hour or so, or until the mattress is dry, and then vacuum the mattress with a high-quality vacuum (I love my Kirby vacuum for cleaning mattresses – I use it as part of my regular mattress care).

The Mattress After Removing the Stains:

Here are the results!:How to Remove Pee Stains from your mattress, and remove the smell! Fantastic easy tutorial on how to get urine stains out of a mattress. How to Remove Pee Stains from your mattress, and remove the smell! Fantastic easy tutorial on how to get urine stains out of a mattress.
*Want a print-friendly version of this cleaning tutorial? Sign up below and I’ll send it and some more awesome cleaning tutorials right to your inbox*:

Be sure to Follow my Cleaning Board on Pinterest for even more cleaning tips and ideas!

And check out my other cleaning posts!:

What have you done to remove a pee stain from a mattress?

Comments

• says

Yes, it completely got rid of the smell, so much so that the cat didn’t pee on it again (which they may do if you don’t get rid of the smell completely). I haven’t used it on carpeting, but it didn’t discolor the couches that I used. As always, you can test on a small spot first.

• says

I believe the hydrogen peroxide worked to remove the stain and the baking soda worked to get rid of the smell, thus why they are a great combination! I have never used it on carpet, but you could definitely give a try. If you are worried about the peroxide lightening your carpet, you can try a small area, or someone has recommended using vinegar instead of the peroxide.

• says

I love my Kirby vacuum for sure, and it is some ways perfect for vacuuming mattresses, but your regular vacuum or canister vacuum should work as well. In this case you just want to get the gritty baking soda residue off.

1. Jennifer Wolfe says

This is great!! Might this work on carpet? Our little dog has the occasional accident, but it’s always in the same area and we don’t always catch it quickly. Thanks.

• Triscuit says

The peroxide is an antibacterial and baking soda is a deodorizer so I would believe that it would get rid of the smell, as long as you saturate the mattress well. I’m using a different method (vinegar and baking soda) but I wanted a back up in case the stain remains. This looks like a good one to me.

• NeNe says

I tried the vinegar and baking soda method and it didn’t work. It removed the odor but not the stain. I used Katlyn’s method of peroxide and baking soda and it worked in just over an hour.

2. Rachel Hagen says

And to clarify, you spray the mixture EVERYWHERE, not just on the pee stain, right? We’ve only had our mattress a week, and our little boy climbed into bed with us and wet it. 🙁

• says

I had someone comment about that on Pinterest as well. I didn’t have that problem. Either try using less baking soda, or get a better spray bottle perhaps. I don’t know! Good luck!

• Kayla says

Thanks for the reply. I ended up using the spray bottle with a dawn dish soap cap and using my finger as a regulator, like spraying a hose. It got the job done and the mattress looks and smells so clean! Thanks!

• Rose E Lloyd says

I heated up a cup of water in the microwave and placed the baking soda in a smaller cup to insert it into the large cup to warms up the HP to help dissolve the baking soda …worked great !

3. Ayesha says

Hi I may give it a try this week. Do you think it would work for general staining of the mattress as well and how long will take for the mattress to dry. As weather is so cold these days. Thanks xx

• says

I am so excited for you to try it! I hope it works for you! I don’t know about general staining, but it’s sure work a shot! It took maybe 3 hours to be completely dry, and we didn’t put them outside. You can put a fan on them to help them dry (or a ceiling fan).

• says

I do not believe you have to use Ajax. It was just what we had/used at the time. I would imagine a drop of a different detergent would work just as well. Good luck!

4. Carol S says

I just got back from trying this technique on the mattress in our motor home
    The pee stain from a grandchild was close to 2 years old!
    Guess what….. it works!!!
    The stain disappeared before my eyes!!!!
    Once dry I may spray it again after I see it in better lite than the storage place offered but it is really remarkable!!
    Thank you so much!!!!

5. Stacie O says

Tried this!! Worked amazing didn’t have oil scenes but had a bottle of febreze with about 1/4 or so left popped that open and worked great, and didn’t need to use a new spray bottle ? thanks!!

6. Sylvia says

OMGee!!!! I really wish I would have taken “before” pictures because this really works! Like really really! Thanks so much!

7. says

We have the same issue with our mattress and we just use baking soda to clean it, We have to wait about 30 minutes before cleaning all, our children are 8 and 12 but they can not clean their mattress themselves

8. Brittany says

Awesome. Thank you. I’ve got 5 stray kittens that got dumped on us and we had one puke on our mattress wafted I stripped it to wash the bedding. I was looking for somethi,g that I might have around the house and found this worked wonders to get the stain and smell out. Now to try it on kiddos mattress that has a pre stain.

9. Carly says

Baking soda is also a good idea to use in your wash if it particularly smelly/dirty. It boosts the power of the detergent and also gets out any odours.

I had a dying cat who was incontinent . I put clean towels under him every night whjich were soaked by the morning. I would just wash them like normal with half a cup of baking soda and one would never have known they had been peed on.

10. Linda says

So I tried this following your directions and it didn’t work at all. The stains are still there.

• says

No! That stinks! I’ve had it work for a lot of people. You can try another application and see if it makes a difference? Best of luck figuring it out.

11. says

Wow, great tips.I couldn’t agree more with your guide. Been doing this and works really great! I would just like to know, other than baking soda what other cleaning products do you find effective?

12. Jules says

I can’t believe how well this worked. I have five and a half year old formula stains on my king size mattress. I’ve had to go over a few spots a few times, but it brought them all completely out.

13. says

I have a mattress that is chintz covered and has a beautiful print. My puppy peed on it and I would like to use this formula, but has anyone ever tried it on any mattress other than white? LMK if anyone can respond. Thanks

• says

Several people have said it works on carpet and other furniture and things (over on HomeTalk where I shared this). You could try testing it out on the underside or the side of the mattress first if you are really worried. Good luck!

14. Jennifer says

I am researching what to do about getting pee out of a mattress and came across your blog. Thanks for the tips on getting rid of the pee:) I found your mattress protector link recco too. Guess what?! – That is the exact mattress protector we have. I have washed and dried it correctly and its two months old – and it FAILED. The Safeproof mattress protector was a big no go for us. Frustrating after doing lots of research before buying it in the first place!

• guyinkansas says

I used your method and it worked pretty well the only thing is, I think I may have put too much baby powder on because a lot of the mattress squares are white and rock hard and they wont vacuum up. if I wipe them up with water it will take it off but when the mattress dries will it still be clean and white? the squares are rock hard and the vacuum did nothing to them . thank you

15. says

I moved into a new apartment. I always clean every inch of the place myself when I move in. Everything was very clean but in the bathrooms the grout around the base of the toilets were like pee yellow color instead of the original white color of the grout. It was so gross. I don’t know if the previous tenant peed on the floor instead of in the toilet or what but it was gross. I tried all kinds of bathroom cleaners, bleach etc. nothing would get it out. Then I sprayed mixture of peroxide and baking soda all on it and it didn’t seem to really work at first. I kind of forgot about it then went back into my bathrooms about a half hour later and it was shiny white no more pee yellow.

16. says

This doesn’t seem to be working on some pretty dark stains (stains on stains). Should I just keep applying or is there a point at which it’s too much? Would lightly pouring the mixture on make a difference? Using more/less baking soda? I’m mostly trying to fix the stained look rather than a smell issue. Thanks for any guidance you might have!

17. Lizzy Johnson says

I found that spraying a carpet cleaner that is diluted directly on the bed, sprinkling baking soda on top, then using the hydrogen peroxide solution really helps too. It had gotten a very deep clean on the mattress that needed cleaning. Most of the stain was gone and the smell was eliminated. The carpet cleaner solution that I had used was called LA’s Totally Awesome All Purpose Cleaner. It works very well.

Trackbacks

1. […] Do you feel like you don’t know what to do? Many parents are overwhelmed by pee stains! They look ugly and don’t smell too pretty either. But guess what? There is a remedy! You can get out those stubborn pee stains from the mattress so that it looks and feels better. Then you can all breathe much easier. Click here to read full article […]